French 'boucher' butcher knives are used similarly to a scimitar or bullnose butcher knives; excelling at large cuts and slicing chops and steaks. The design of this knife dates back to the middle ages and is still used extensively in southern Europe and France.
These ‘Plate-Semelle’ or ‘flat plate’ knives were made in Theirs, France in the 1950s. These were the working-class knives of their day and are thin, light yes still stiff and strong with a good toughness and excellent sharpenability
Plate-Semelle knives represent the last of the large scale commercial application of a very old forging technique. Starting with a bar of steel that is drawn into the blade shape using an old mechanical trip hammer then a softer, lower carbon piece of steel or iron is forge-welded on to the blade to form the tang (the extension of the blade that runs through the handle). This would save steel and make it easier to drill holes through the handle scales and tang. The tang was also drawn into shape by the hammer, making for a tapered blade and tang with a thick area where the two meet that is referred to as a bolster.
The now ubiquitous bolster on western knives is traced back to the Middle Ages where the use of fine cutlery banquets for nobility and religious leaders were an important indication of status. The wealthy only used pieces with the most intricately ground bolsters and ornate designs. The more subdued, less ornate bolsters that characterize western culinary knives today is the modernization of this old symbol of wealth and power.
Being handmade, there are slight differences between knives and they may have imperfections -- slightly wavy blades, asymmetrical handle with gaps between the scales and tang, etc. They were made to be affordable, hard workers, without a lot of fuss. If you can deal with these imperfections, you will be rewarded with a knife that has a great cutting feel and is truly a piece of history.
Since 1834, K Sabatier has been the dedicated brand of Sabatier Aine & Perrier; a family cutlery business started by Philippe Sabatier in the early 1800’s. The business has been passed down eight generations, and has remained located in the hills of Thiers, France, in the village of Bellevue. They continue to run their company with pride and precision; keeping all aspects of the manufacturing process within the area of Thiers.